Mechanical Engineering Y1
"Your vote is your voice"
How to reach me?
Instagram: @teamtophwum; @ahmed.salman2001
Hello, my dear HWUMans, I am Ahmed Salman, a 1st year mechanical engineering student and I am running for Vice President Wellbeing.
As a child, I was always encouraged to step outside of my comfort zone and experience new things. That mindset has stuck by me throughout the years, which has led me to where I am right now. I have involved myself in many clubs and societies over the past two years I’ve been in HWUM, and taken up leadership roles in them. I am also currently the accommodations officer in HWUMSA. I am confident with my experience that I’ve gained from these past two years, especially with my time in HWUMSA, I would be great as your Vice President of Wellbeing.
As the Vice President of Wellbeing, my work will be centered around the idea of promoting holistic wellbeing, which includes physical, mental, emotional, and social aspects of an individual's life. My main goal will be to ensure that every student at this institution has the tools and resources they need to lead a healthy, fulfilling life.
What motivated me to nominate myself?
As an international student and as an individual who has been in a lot of different environments, I have witnessed the neglect of the students’ wellbeing. I personally have suffered through my high school because there were no resources for my wellbeing. It led to me closing myself off, which looking back at it, wasn’t a healthy practice. This experience stuck by me and provided me the motivation to run for VP wellbeing.
As a member of the HWUMSA wellbeing team, I was exposed to a wide range of issues that the student body faces daily. I wasn't personally impacted by some of the issues, but I could still feel the anxiety they were causing. Bringing these issues in a right way to the university staff is very important and I feel that my communication skills and my determination will make me a good representative of the students. With this in mind, I believe that as your VP Wellbeing I can help to create a safe and healthy environment in our university
My top three priorities
- Provide resources and support for physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. This may include access to mental health professionals, wellness programs, and healthy food options.
- Creating a safe environment for students to address their concerns.
- Building a strong communication between students and the wellbeing department.
What would I bring to the role?
- Bringing new perspectives to HWUMSA as an international student and having lived through different environments.
- Experience and knowledge working as the current accommodation officer under the wellbeing department.
- My ability to communicate easily, my open mindedness and my ability to lead a team with ease.
- Ensure that there is a positive communication pathway between the student body and the university officials.
- Bringing in new ideas for the wellbeing system to make sure all aspects of the student’s wellbeing is covered.
Improving and introducing initiatives which will help student wellbeing such as:
· Improve food options and make sure that student feedback gets back to them.
· Improving standards for our university accommodations.
· Transport accessibility.
· Providing a comfortable and safe environment for example anonymous complain portal, menstrual products in every female toilet.
The above are some of the tentative plans for my tenure as VP Wellbeing.
I will bring a welcoming presence, my drive to make sure every student is supported, and a steadfast conviction that we cannot succeed without a solid foundation of well-being.