Hello! My name is Chris Sean, a second-year electrical engineering student and this year I am running to be your Sports Vice President!
Let me introduce myself! I was born in Malaysia but spent most of my time overseas in Paris and Montreal. I graduated from the American School of Paris (ASP) before joining Heriot-Watt University.
Throughout my life I have played a significant number of sports. In my senior year I was the captain of my High School division 1 volleyball and basketball varsity team. When I'm not playing sports, you can either find me hiking mountains or working out at the gym!
In addition, I used to represent a professional E-Sports team (SoaR). I competed in apex legends and call of duty to which I have participated in international circuit games finishing within the top 500 players in the world for multiple seasons.
Fast forward to the present day, I am currently actively involved with the university as your External Sports Officer!
Furthermore, some of the roles I have taken up or are currently still undergoing are listed below.
- Community Sports Officer
- Phoenix House Captain
- Committee of the Volleyball club
- EE Class Representative
- PALs Mentor
- Duke of Edinburgh Ambassador
- Student Ambassador
Adding on, I am also certified in the following areas by the certified emergency response training academy.
- Fire rescue and fire fighting
- First aid, CPR and AED
Given all this, my proudest achievements are the following
- Given the opportunity to host and work with YB HANNAH YEOH, Minister of Youth and Sports Malaysia
- Working alongside HASNIDA HANIM from TV3 Malaysia
- Collaborating with the Malaysia Olympian Association
- Conquering Mount Kinabalu
It’s a pleasure to meet all of you!
When elected as Vice President Sports, given my experience and knowledge of participating in sports and e-sports events on a global scale (14 different countries), I can assure you with my exposure and experience, you will have my utmost dedication and support to elevate sports at Heriot-Watt to the next level.
Working together with the Sports Committee, we will strive for excellence in 3 main areas.
- Internal Sports
- External Sports
Regarding internal sports, all sports clubs will be provided with the upmost support from HWUMSA to ensure our clubs are operating at optimum condition in order to provide the best experience for our students. Clubs will be given the opportunity to create as well as seize numerous opportunities in order to grow and expand to reach new milestones and achievements regularly.
Students participating in external sports can look forward to representing Heriot-Watt University Malaysia on a domestic and global scale. This millstone has never been attempted before but it is safe to say that Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is well on its way there given the progress from this year!
Last but not least, our beloved HWUMCUP! Students engaging in HWUMCUP will be given high exposure and a fair chance to participate in all upcoming events. Students can look forward to having more events as well as these events being carried out at unprecedented standards.
These are only a few of the innumerable things in store for all students at Heriot-Watt!
I will strive to listen, respond, perform and deliver in an utmost professional manner to students in order for them to have a memorable experience they remember for the rest of their lives!
What motivated me to nominate myself?
I have always viewed “Sports” as a way to stay healthy and fit but sports’ importance goes much further than that. Sports help in the overall development of students. Playing sports teaches one the lessons of life, such as teamwork, accountability, self-confidence, responsibility, and self-discipline. This statement resonates very strongly with me as I have benefited greatly from being actively in sports and I wish to share that experience with my fellow students here in HW.
Having firsthand experience of being your external/community sports officer as well as your phoenix house captain and by participating in the same sport events as you, I truly understand what it feels like to be a player or a club member. I will use my experience to make new, returning and existing students feel comfortable in the Heriot-Watt Sports Community.
Thus, I believe I bring a set of unique credentials and experiences that can be found nowhere else when it comes to the relationship between the players, clubs, staff and organizers whether they be internal or external.
My passion for sports is what drives me and inspires me to better. Family and friends mean everything to me, and I wouldn’t be who I am without the people who have supported me. Making your voice heard to improve sports engagements and satisfaction index as a community will be my prime objective.
My top three priorities
A Beneficial Community
- It is important to make sure all students can benefit from each other in a community where they have an enjoyable time and a fair chance of participating in sports at a competitive or recreational level.
- It is crucial to have a close relationship with each sports club in order to give them the support they need throughout the year to make sure all their needs and personal objectives can be fulfilled in a meaningful way.
Excellent Student Mental, Physical and Personality Development
- University sports will be and has always been a means for students to Enhance social and personality development. Participating in Sports can help students to build leadership skills and improve capacity for goal setting and character building. Being active in sports will naturally develop greater self-esteem, improved social interaction, sense of confidence and mutual trust.
What would I bring to the role?
Experience and Connections
- While holding numerous positions for almost two years now, I have thoroughly built strong foundations with students, clubs, staff and external parties in order to have a better understanding of their needs, wants and goals. I believe this is crucial in order for each area (internal sports, external sports and HWUMCUP) to excel too greater heights.
Leadership and Communication
- I will bring excellent leadership and communication skills at a professional level with peers from experience of being captain of my basketball and volleyball team. Thus, I assure you situations will be handled effectively, accurately and efficiently.
Awareness and Counteraction
- Students and sports clubs will be given prominent voices in order to share their opinions and issues throughout the year. To hold a “Summit” that consists of a large assembly where students discuss needed improvements and action plans to create favorable responses and solutions can be expected punctually.