Hello everyone! My name is Pui Leng and I am running for HWUMSA Treasurer 2022/2023. I am currently a third-year Chemical Engineering student. With this piece of information, you may be wondering what can a student with a background in something completely unrelated to finance possibly bring to the table. To that, I shall be honest that I do not have much experience in being a treasurer. However, in spite of that, I believe that I possess the skills and qualities to perform the job responsibilities at an exceptional level.
I believe I have what it takes to take on this challenge as I am a financially responsible person who always strives for success and is willing to learn any skill at a fast pace to fulfill the required tasks. I will end this manifesto with a common quote by Wayne Gretzky that I believe describes my ideology perfectly – “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”.
As your HWUMSA Treasurer, I would…
- Act as a mediator for all financial restructuring between the council and the clubs and societies in order to ensure appropriate and satisfactory allocation of funding towards each event.
- Provide my utmost attention to providing detailed and transparent financial statements on a semester basis, ensuring there will be no confusion for my successor.
- Standardize financial statement/ reporting with proper templates and guidelines for clubs and societies.
What motivated me to nominate myself?
Being a student at Heriot-Watt University, I am aware of the importance of being comfortable with problem-solving on unfamiliar topics and I have always been keen to contribute to the university’s community by working with a group of self-motivated individuals. Furthermore, I believe being part of HWUMSA would allow me to develop various soft skills and networking opportunities; skills and connections beneficial in preparing me for integration into society. With regards to networking, I have realized the drawback of joining HWUM as part of the January 2020 intake cohort as it was essentially a “bullet train” experience of completing the first year of my course without the opportunity to meet new people. Hence, I nominate myself for the role of treasurer and I promise to give my best to facilitate the financial aspects of HWUMSA and also advocate for networking opportunities.
My top three priorities
Ensure well management of budget given through consistent monitoring and revising of the fund's allocation. The possibility of working with partners and sponsors enables us to gain additional funds for indelible quality upscaled events for the future.
Working with a group of passionate individuals to achieve mutual goals, making improvements to enhance student experiences, and providing opportunities at which essential skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving can be developed by oneself.
Encourage students to get out of their comfort zones by working to provide more leadership role opportunities or promoting the events organized by HWUM to increase participation rates. I hope that by doing this, I can help students build confidence, improve their leadership skills, expand their social circles and strengthen the HWUM community spirit.
What would I bring to the role?
- I would provide my utmost willingness to grow and honesty to the team in order for us to strive for goals.
- I believe my work ethic and personality allow me to serve as a dependable person for the board members and fellow officers. Due to this, I believe a fruitful working relationship between myself and HWUMSA can be achieved and maintained.
- I believe my team and I possess the ability to design a prudent budget allocation plan that will enhance the experience and be in the best interests of all staff and students.
- I will manage the financial operations diligently and be transparent in terms of transactions, allocations, and overall handling.
- I will be approachable and open to any advice, suggestions, or constructive criticisms provided by anyone.
- I will ensure all funds are used responsibly in regards to its purpose and the year-end financial report will be communicated to all students across diverse forms of media.