Greetings fellow Hwumans! My name is Evans Ngu, a Malaysian born and raised Mechanical Engineering student in his second year, and I am running for HWUMSA Vice President of Wellbeing 2022/2023!
I’m an individual who strives for constant self-improvement and ways to grow as a person. I pride myself on my dependability and communication skills, value authenticity and am a huge advocate for open-mindedness and empathy. As a person, I’m constantly fascinated by the individuality and uniqueness of every new person I meet. I guess you could say that trying to see the world in the eyes of others would be my passion.
After spending a little more than 2 and a half years here, I think I’m eligible to say that I know how it feels to be a student at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia. Like the rest of you, I’ve studied, struggled, complained, and persevered. Throughout my time in multiple social circles, complaining for the fun of it has been omnipresent. And although we can all relate, knowing that wanting to make an actual difference takes too much time and effort. Time and effort that we are unable to spare because of our gruelling courses. This is where I’d love to step in. I believe that immense pressure births diamonds, but we’re going to have to live through the entire process before we can shine. In the lightless tunnel that every student finds themselves in, as VP Wellbeing, I plan to create a system where students can faithfully trust the process and reach the light at the end of the tunnel.
I believe that the Wellbeing of a person is categorized by 3 aspects: Physical, social, and mental health.
And thus, as VP Wellbeing, I will:
- Work with the VP Sports to push for a healthy lifestyle.
- Work with the VP Community to provide students with the opportunity to connect with each and every community in HWUM.
- Be your friendly neighbourhood VP Wellbeing, the person you’d go to discuss the colour of the sky or your plans to rule the galaxy.
What motivated me to nominate myself?
As a person, I genuinely enjoy getting to know the world from the eyes of others. Over the past year, I’ve made it a motto to push myself out of my comfort zone and make new connections. As I look back, I can confidently say that it was the best decision I’ve ever made. And I wish that you all can experience university life outside of the textbook and computer screen. This is a university, the place to study, yes, but it’s also the place to connect and experience. As the VP of Wellbeing, I plan to assist you in your university life in and outside of the books.
After getting to know HWUMSA throughout the past 2 years, I’ve realized that there is so much untapped and dormant potential in the Wellbeing department. Knowing that there is so much good to be done and not acting on it would be a regret that I do not wish to carry with me after I graduate. I promise that once you’ve tasted a hint of what I have in store, each and every student will be glad they chose Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
My top three priorities
- To develop and anchor a system where any student can comfortably divulge their worries, knowing that HWUMSA exists for the betterment of the lives of students.
- To provide each and every student with the best possible university experience, in terms of providing opportunities, improving lifestyles, and mental health, allowing them to gladly declare their status of being a Heriot-Watt university Malaysia student.
- To bridge the gaps between every community in Heriot-Watt Malaysia, not just between the local and international students, but also with the juniors and seniors of every and any course.
What would I bring to the role?
- I bring an open mind and my ability to work through problems with open communications and teamwork, achieving the best possible outcome. As an individual, I believe that so long as all parties are striving for the same goal, we can make anything possible.
- Someone who’s ready for development and improvements in the wellbeing system to give you the best possible university experience
- Plans to increase student interactions with university activities, to provide the ideal university experience.
- I present an individual who cares and is ready to walk with you throughout the highs and lows of your university experience.
- I present a new opportunity for all students, one where we can work together to create your ideal university experience.
- A committed individual who’s ready to make a difference.