Jolyn Tan Jing Xuan
Psychology with Management Y1
Accountability, Communication, Empowerment
How to reach me?
Instagram: @jolyntanjingxuan ; @teamace2324
Hello! I am Jolyn Tan, a first-year BSc (Hons) Psychology with Management student. I am now running for HWUMSA Vice President of Community 2023/2024!
I am the current Arts & Culture Officer of HWUMSA, and this will be my third year participating in HWUMSA! I was a subcommittee in foundation, an officer in Year 1, and now running for the position of vice president. Throughout the years in HWUMSA, I believe that I have developed the experience, passion, and abilities needed to lead the future Community Team.
I love to explore and create opportunities. Having a fun university experience as well as a study-life balance is something I always want to enhance and foster within the HWUM community!
During my term, I will ensure:
- Easy access to the information of happening events.
- Enhance the event organising processes and experience.
- Empower new and existing HWUMANs to join the community by connecting them in terms of involvement and inclusivity.
What motivated me to nominate myself?
I nominated myself because I feel this is where I belong. I was part of the Johor Student Leaders Council in high school, and being a part of that made me realise that positions like this is what I was made to do. To change and improve what we have now is what I did in JSLC, and it is what I plan to do as next term’s Vice President of Community.
Besides, I have gained all the support from my family, friends, as well as my current HWUMSA Community Team. “My boss” always encourages me and has nurtured me well. With their trust, I am confident that I can contribute to a better future and unleash my fullest potential when I am in the position.
My top three priorities
- Improve students’ experience by creating an easier platform to involve new and existing students in the co-curriculum activities.
- Improve clubs and societies quality by providing more opportunities and guidance in terms of the process of event organising inside as well as outside of the university.
- Increase communication between students and HWUMSA as well as the university for more and better students' activities.
What would I bring to the role?
- The experience and expertise acquired as the current Arts & Culture Officer and as the previous subcommittee of HWUMSA.
- The good leadership skills from past experiences to lead the community team.
- Sustaining the culture of respect and professional collaboration among the students, clubs, and HWUMSA.
- Assist clubs and societies in identifying and getting the ideal resources to fulfil their requirements and objectives.
- Empower all the students by involving them in high-quality events.
- Ensuring that student engagement, feedback, and opinions are valued.