Hello there! My name is Joshua, a second-year BSc Actuarial Science student, and I am running for HWUMSA Vice President of Community 2022/2023!
I believe that I am a connector, and my goal is to bring like-minded people together to help each other realise their maximum potential, both academically and in co-curriculum activities. Study-Life balance has always been something very crucial to me, and it is something I would like to encourage and cultivate among the HWUM community.
I am currently serving as HWUMSA’s Subcommittee Director. Throughout my tenure in the student council, I believed that I have gained the experience, commitment, and skills to lead the upcoming Community Team and bring the HWUM community to greater heights.
My Tenure Priorities as VP Community will be:
- YOU: to ensure that HWUMSA provides OPPORTUNITIES for you to grow and fulfill your needs as a student.
- Clubs and Societies: to ensure that all clubs and societies get the resources they need to perform at their maximum efficiency and potential.
- Interuniversity: Connect students, clubs and societies at both a global level with other Heriot-Watt Campuses and other universities in Malaysia.
- The Community: Better engage new HWUMANs to join the community while uniting the community in terms of participation, inclusiveness and student wellbeing.
I envision my Tenure Priorities steering Heriot-Watt’s community to be one of warmth and comradeship. And with everyone’s support, I am confident that we will make Heriot-Watt known for the vibrancy of our community.
Thank you for taking your time and reading my manifesto. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or feedback. That being said, do vote for me as VP Community and support Team G.O.!!!
What motivated me to nominate myself?
There are two parts to this answer:
The first part is on the personal side, where I would want to continue to grow as a person and learn from this experience while meeting and working with new people and fostering new connections. Plus, I ran for this exact position last year and lost to a better opponent. This time, I would like to try again and fulfill my dream of becoming VP of Community of HWUMSA.
The second part is my motivation to give back to the HWUM Community, to help students in the community in achieving their dreams and goals, create opportunities for students to practice leadership and create a more positive, inclusive and welcoming environment for all. I fell in love working in HWUMSA this term and my work in HWUMSA is far from over. I would like the chance to realise the vision set from previous terms and bring the HWUM community to greater heights.
My top three priorities
- Increase student leadership and growth opportunities through high-quality and a variety of events, workshops and more. This is to create an environment to allow students to empower themselves to maximise their potential and help them realise their dreams and goals.
- Improve clubs and societies' quality of life by refining existing systems and policies that would increase the transparency between HWUMSA and the clubs and societies as well as encourage clubs and societies to organise activities and events of high quality.
- Increase interuniversity operations and engagements. These include having more engagements, activities and events with the universities within the vicinity of the HWUM campus (that is universities around Cyber/Putra), the 5 UK universities in Malaysia and the 5 HW campuses.
What would I bring to the role?
- The knowledge and experience gained as the current Subcommittee Director.
- The leadership experience from multiple leadership roles in the past.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills to lead the community team and collaborate with other departments in HWUMSA.
- Ensuring to maintain mutual respect and professional understanding between clubs, student body, and HWUMSA.
- Support each club in attaining the appropriate contacts, facilities and resources to meet their needs and goals.
- Give the entire student body the opportunity to engage with a wide range of events and activities to further develop themselves.
- Bring forth diverse genres of high-quality events to ensure all students have the opportunity to empower themselves.
- Enhancing and exciting the university and campus experience outside of the academic curriculum.
- Ensuring that student involvement, feedback and opinions matter.