William Cheah Wai Liang
International Business Management (Yr 2)
Accountability, Communication, Empowerment
How to reach me?
Hello everyone! I am William and I am running for HWUMSA Treasurer 2023/2024. I am currently a third-year Inernational Business Management student. I have several experiences on running events. As well as experiences on budgeting for events. With that, I believe that I possess the skills and qualities to perform the job responsibilities at an exceptional level.
I believe I have what it takes to take on this challenge as I am a financially responsible person who always work hard for success and is willing to learn any skill at a fast pace to finish the required tasks. I will end this manifesto with a common quote by Germany Kent that I believe describes my ideology perfectly – “At the very moment when people underestimate you is when you can make a breakthrough”.
As your HWUMSA Treasurer, I would…
1. Act as a communicator for all financial matters between the council and the clubs and societies.
2. Provide my utmost attention to providing detailed, standardised and transparent financial statements on a monthly basis, ensuring there will be no confusion for my successor.
3. Ensure appropriate and satisfactory allocation of funding towards each departments and their events.
What motivated me to nominate myself?
Being a student at Heriot-Watt University, I am aware of the importance of being working underpressure with problem-solving on unfamiliar topics and I have always been keen to contribute to the university’s community by working with a group of self-motivated individuals. Furthermore, I believe being part of HWUMSA would allow me to gain knowledge in various soft skills and networking opportunities; skills and connections beneficial in preparing me for integration into society. With regards to networking, I have realized the drawback of joining HWUM as part of the September 2021 intake cohort as it was essentially a “bullet train” experience of completing the first year of my course with less opportunity to meet new people. Hence, I nominate myself for the role of treasurer and I promise to give my best to facilitate the financial aspects of HWUMSA and also advocate for networking opportunities.
My top three priorities
Ensure efficient communication between HWUMSA, clubs, and the university
Working hand-in-hand with all highly motivated individuals to achieve the mutual goals, providing opportunities for the students at all the essential skills such as problem solving and critical thinking can be developed by oneself
Listen to the voice and feedback of the students, to ensure that there will be a constant improvement in my department operation
What would I bring to the role?
· I would provide my utmost willingness to listen and honesty to the team in order for us to strive for goals.
· I believe my work personality allows me to serve as an interdependable person for the board members and fellow officers. According to this, I believe a fruitful working relationship between myself and HWUMSA can be achieved and maintained.
· I am certain that my team and I were able to create a wise budget allocation strategy that will enhance the learning environment and be in the best interests of all faculty and students.
· I will manage the financial operations diligently and be transparent in terms of transactions, allocations, and overall handling.
· I will be approachable and open to any advice, suggestions, or constructive criticisms provided by anyone.
· I'll make sure that all funds are used appropriately in accordance with their intended use, and I'll make sure that all pupils are informed of the year-end financial report using a variety of media.